In this article, we are discussing several ways to get rid of mice. Mice or Rats are cute small rodents, but that doesn’t mean we share our homes with them. Mice are not picky eaters, they seek out for leftovers on Worktops, cupboards and tables – potentially scattering pathogens and diseases such as Leptospirosis, Salmonella or Hantavirus, as they look for food. The mice will look for an easy way to reach out for shelter and food, any tiny hole will do the job. They search for simple, plentiful sources of food and intact areas to nest. By eliminating their access to food source, your home will be less attractive to them.
You will also need to decrease possible food contagion risks and the spread of illness from a mouse infestation. There are some best home remedies to get rid of mice fast and naturally. Read on this article to know more.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mice Naturally:
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mice Naturally:
- 1. Peppermint Oil to Kill Mice Naturally
- 2. Potatoes Get Rid of Mice Fast
- 3. Proper Food Storage to Control Mice Naturally
- 4. Hole Patching Prevent Mice Fast
- 5. Use Cat litter Get Rid of Mice Naturally
- 6. Natural Predators to Control Mice Fast
- 7. Steel Wool Get Rid of Mice Naturally
- 8. Humane Traps to Keep Away Mice Fast
- 9. Moth Balls Get Rid of Mice Quickly
- 10. Onions to Control Mice Fast at Home
- 11. Plaster of Paris and Cocoa Powder to Prevent Mice
- 12. Bay Leaf to Get Rid of Mice Naturally
1. Peppermint Oil to Kill Mice Naturally
Mice can not stand the smell of peppermint. Its fresh smell may smell good to you, but it will keep mice away from your house. To try this method, just put a little peppermint oil on a cotton swab and place them on the entrance, kitchen cabinets and other susceptible areas. Alternatively, If you wish not to use oil, you can use mint toothpaste or mint leaves instead. You can try planting a mint plant outside of your home to prevent mice. This will keep them away from your home. This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of mice fast and naturally.
2. Potatoes Get Rid of Mice Fast
Instant mashed potatoes are one of the easiest and cheaper ways to get rid of mice. Simply place a few teaspoons, where the mice visit frequently. Once the mice eat the potatoes, the peel will enlarge in their stomachs and kill them before it gets fully digested. Just to be safe, make sure that the peels are not accessible to any of your pets.
3. Proper Food Storage to Control Mice Naturally
The best way is to keep your food locked up tight. Make sure that all your food is well stored away. As mice can and will chew anything to get into your home and your food. Keep food in plastic containers, airtight and away from the reach of a mouse. Discard all of your waste cans far away from your house as possible. This is one of the excellent ways to control mice fast at home.
4. Hole Patching Prevent Mice Fast
Mice can’t creep into your kitchen cupboards and pantry if there no entrance way into your home. Keep in mind, mice can crawl through even the nominal cracks and holes. So to avoid their entry in your house, block their holes in interior and exterior walls. Block or seal any holes bigger than 1/4 inch. Here are some tips to find holes:
- You will always find holes or gaps near an entryway.
- Mice sometimes greasy marks around entry points.
- Mice also leave a different smell behind, so you can sniff out potential entryways.
- Once you have found possible entry ways, mark them using chalk, clean the area and seal it up.
5. Use Cat litter Get Rid of Mice Naturally
Kitty litter also helps keep mice and rats away from your house. Keep kitty litter in the entrance way. As cats are natural killer of mice. If a mouse gets to know that a cat lives in your home, they’ll rapidly run the other way. Many homeowners and farmers recommend keeping some of used kitty litter near assumed entry points in your home. The mice will stink the cat urine and will run away. This is one of the great ways to get rid of mice fast and easy at home.
6. Natural Predators to Control Mice Fast
Keeping a natural predator in your backyard or home is one of the most efficient and natural ways to get rid of mice. The easiest and simplest method would be to keep a cat. This is tried and tested method, you will see positive results in a few days. Just remember that a cat is a serious dedication, and while they’re outstanding mouse hunters, you will need to take care of them just as you would do to any other pet.
Alternatively, Owl’s Feather also can do the job very well. An Owl’s feather helps alarm the mice and compel them to get rid away from your house. Try keeping some owl’s feather around your closets, beneath your bed, in the kitchen and where you find frequently. Alternatively, if you cannot find an owl feather, place 2-3 plastic snakes in your house corners to disappear rats in the yard. This is one of the helpful remedies to get rid of mice at home naturally.
7. Steel Wool Get Rid of Mice Naturally
Use steel wool to block the holes. Keep in mind those cracks and holes we talked about earlier? If green kitchen pads or copper pads are not keeping mice away, steel wool is a great alternative to that. Mice cannot gnaw through the wire and it actually hurt their teeth. So, simply fix the steel wool in any crevices, cracks or holes keep mice out of your house. This is one of the safest and easiest methods to control mice fast and naturally.
8. Humane Traps to Keep Away Mice Fast
Humane traps are also another beneficial way to get rid of mice naturally. Get a mice trap from a pet store. This is one of the simplest methods to keep them away from your house. Just open the trap and attach the favorite of the mice like cheese or bread to attract them towards the trap. Once they enter into the trap to eat the cheese, they will get trapped. Keep this trap at night. Next morning, take that tarp and throw them out miles away from your house, so that they do not come again.
9. Moth Balls Get Rid of Mice Quickly
Just like mint, mice also can’t stand the smell of mothballs. Moth balls are very efficient, but they can be pretty poisonous. Be careful while placing them around the home. You can either place the moth balls in an air hole container to let the smell infuse into the room. You can also put some balls around your house. Just make sure, these moth balls are not accessible to your kids and pets in the house.
10. Onions to Control Mice Fast at Home
Onion acts as a natural repellent. Onions are another strong smell that rats, mice or mouse can’t tolerate. This remedy can be a bit difficult because the onions will decay if left out for some days, and Onions are poisonous to some animals, like cats and dogs. But the smell will keep mice and rats running away from your house, just make sure you keep the onion out of reach of your pets. Try to keep a fresh one each day or every other day. Otherwise, you’ll have a completely smelly and different problem on your hands.
11. Plaster of Paris and Cocoa Powder to Prevent Mice
It is one of the best solutions to get rids of mice, rats or mouse fast. Make a homemade mouse repellent using plaster of paris and cocoa powder. This is tried and tested home remedy to kill rats, mice and mouse in your house fast and naturally. To use this method, follow the steps given below:
- Take cocoa powder and mix with dry plaster of Paris.
- Place the mixture, where mice visits frequently. Make sure the mix is dry.
- The mice get attracted to the chocolate and eat this mixture.
- But after eating, they will leave your home to hunt for water and will die instantly.
12. Bay Leaf to Get Rid of Mice Naturally
This home remedy is very useful to get rid of mice fast. Rats consume bay leaf as the source of food. But, actually bay leaf kills them. This is very easy and simple remedy. To try this method, keep some bay leaves in the diseased area. Keep this method on repeat until you see mice vanishing out from your home.
Additional Tips to Get Rid of Mice Fast:
Above all the remedies are easy and simple to use. You can find all the ingredients in your kitchen itself. By using these few simple home remedies to get rid of mice, you can be finished with them once and for all. The best part is, most of these home remedies are common and natural, so you don’t have to put your children or pets at risk.
- Do not drop food here and there.
- Always keep the loft and home clean.
- Block all the possible entrances of the rats using chalk.
- Keep your trash cans neat and clean and protect them with a lid.
- You can also keep a cat to get rid of mice naturally.