In this article, we are discussing several ways to get rid of drain flies. Drain flies are small-sized flies, about 1/8th inch. They are generally black, but may be brown. The key to recognize them is the unique design of streaks in its wings. Drain Flies are also known as sewer flies, moth flies or filter flies. Their wings and bodies are enclosed with many hairs. If crushed they release a powdery mark. The flies are normally found around drains, but they should not be mixed with the Phorid fly, Fruit fly or Sphaerocierid fly which also spread over drains. If you see a gnat type insect flying or small fly around in the kitchen, do not believe it is coming from the drains. Check all viable breeding sources to help out categorize the fly.
Before we move to how to get rid of drain flies, it is essential to find out the drain fly infested areas. To find this we have two treatments, you can use any of the two ways mentioned below:
1.) Spotting the Drain Flies
This is a very easy way to identify the drain fly infested areas. Here, you have to find out the drain adults fly easily with your eye. The adults can be seen sleeping on the ceilings and walls of the infested areas. These flies are not very good at flying so you can find their breeding area near to the infested area.
So, when you encounter some adult drain flies, find a nearby drain or a pipe. The pipe or drain will be the base of their breeding source. In this situation, there are numerous pipes or drains close to the infested area, then you may require the second method to locate the actual breeding source.
2.) Drain Test
In this test, we are going to test all the drains, pipes and outlets with a sticky tape, so that when drain flies come out of the source they get trapped to the tape, giving us infestation proofs.
Follow the below steps to do this:
- First step is to clean the drain thoroughly and dry the drain areas in your bathroom and kitchen.
- After this, in the evening because these flies are most active at night. Stick a piece of clear tape over the drain, pipes etc. in your bathroom and kitchen. Place the tape keeping the sticky side facing downwards. Do not fully cover the drain with tape, as this will stop flies from coming out of the drain.
- Keep the tape overnight or for a weekend if possible. After that, verify the tape, if you find any flies glued to the tape, if the flies are there then you have located the breeding source. If not, then repeat the check for 4 more nights to look out for differences in the breeding cycle.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Drain Flies:
1.) Destroy Breeding Source to Treat Drain Flies
Now, once you have recognized the breeding source, you can start the process of removing the dirt and slime dumped in your drains where these flies reproduce.
- First step is to clean the outer surface of the drain. And then pour 2-3 liters of hot water to wet the drain.
- After this, use a pipe brush consider metal one and push it throughout the pipe, move it up and down to clean all the sides of the drain pipe. You could also use a plumbing snake to take out the dirt.
- Next, pour a drain cleaner liquid or gel into the pipe to cover the sides of the pipe with this chemical. Drain cleaner gel is specially made to get rid of the organic matter from the pipes.
- Many people try to drain cleaning gel, boiling water and bleach, but these treatments are not successful against drain flies. Because drain fly larvae can stay alive under high temperatures as well.
- After a few hours, put lots of water. You could also use a nozzle to flush any residual organic matter trapped in the pipe.
2.) Kill Adult Drain Flies Get Rid of Drain Flies
After eliminating the drain fly larvae and eggs by cleaning the drain, only adult flies are left. Since they now have no area to produce eggs, your drain fly problem will vanish when these adults die. To destroy these adult drain flies you could use, swatters or sprays. Below is a list of some ways that you can use to destroy the adult drain flies:
Chemical Sprays to Kill Drain Flies- This is one of the popular methods to remove drain flies fast and naturally from kitchen and bathroom. You could use chemical sprays to terminate the adult drain flies. But the difficulty with chemical sprays is that they are poisonous and hence cannot be used if the infected area is the kitchen.
Fly Swatters to Get Rid of Drain Flies- As drain flies are frequently seen sleeping on the walls so it is much not difficult to kill them using an automatic fly swatter. Make sure you clean the bloody chaos from the walls after killing them. Try this remedy to get rid of drain flies in the house fast and naturally.
Liquid Dish Soap Spray to Kill Drain Flies Fast- Dish Soap consists of borax, which has antibacterial properties. Take an empty spray bottle, add 6-7 drops of dish soap with 2 cups of lukewarm water. Shake the solution and spray on the drain flies to destroy them.
Drain Fly Trap to Destroy Drain Flies- This technique is good if the diseased place is your kitchen. Take a bowl and fill it with the same amount of water, sugar and white vinegar. Add 7-8 drops of dish soap. Keep the solution overnight alongside your kitchen sink. The smell of this liquid will draw the drain flies and as soon as they reach for it, they will be immediately dead and drowned.
3.) Vinegar to Treat Drain Flies Fast
Vinegar can be used in several ways to get rid of drain flies fast. A solution of baking soda and vinegar when gushed through drains helps to release any organic matter in the drains. When this is followed by hot water down the drain, the drain unblock. As a result the proliferation areas for the flies are removed.
4.) Get Rid of Drain Flies Naturally
Essential oils can be useful to prepare a natural drain fly repellent. One of that oil is lemon grass oil. When this is sprayed around the area of flies, it will help to force them to leave that area. Although this may not destroy them, it is a natural method of keeping the flies away.
Why Are Sewer Flies Dangerous?
They spread through food. Drain flies love being on your jam or sandwiches, especially if your section is right next to the sink. Their legs transmit infection, which they pick up near anything decaying. This infection may vary from dirt to some extremely hazardous bacteria.
Sewer flies which survive in the bathroom are unsafe for children. You cannot make your chid bath near the drain flies such as by chance get in a child’s mouth or eye. Moths are even more dangerous for kids.
Drain flies bring along other flies too. Sewer flies and their children are also a breeding ground for bigger insects. Following the drain flies, you will find some larger flies, spiders and other insects in your house.
Allergies. For sure, sewer flies are not as allergenic as wasps or bees, but there are cases of acute allergies due to drain flies.
How to Keep Drain Fly from Recurring?
To make sure that drain flies do not come back to your home again, follow the below tips:
1.) Keep the drains area clog free and clean.
2.) Make sure that there is no extra water in your kitchen or bathroom.
3.) Occasionally spray IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) in your drains.
Hope you will find these techniques helpful and keep in mind if the problem is severe then you may contact your nearest professionals to get rid of drain flies.
Additional Tips to Get Rid of Drain Flies Fast and Naturally:
- Keep drain pipes fixed and clean.
- Check regularly for any problem.
- Purify your sewer pipes with special resources.
- Keep tank or pool with water closed.
- Remove all water in watering tanks.
- Create a false pond with fish-eating insects.
- Keep an eye on drain blocks and remove them time to time.