Hay fever is also called allergic rhinitis, it is caused by the body’s response to certain allergens and other substances. Around 20 percent of the US population suffers from hay fever every year. It affects both women and men and also common among infants and small children. Pollen, dust, cat saliva, animal dander, and mold are the common allergens that cause hay fever. Other factors can also trigger this condition such as cigarette smoking, cold temperatures, exposure to chemicals, high pollution, humidity and wood smoke, and fumes.
When the body comes into the contact with the allergens and other triggers, it releases histamines into your system. This is the chemical that affects the mucous membranes of the sinuses, throat, nose, eyes and palate, causing cold-like signs and symptoms. Sneezing, runny nose, itchy nose, stuffy nose, coughing, sore throat, watery eyes, frequent headache, excessive fatigue and itchy skin are some symptoms and they may also worsen asthma symptoms. Hay fever is not considered as the serious ailment but it can interfere with your everyday quality of life. There are some natural home remedies for hay fever that are inexpensive and can provide quick relief.
Home Remedies for Hay Fever:
- Home Remedies for Hay Fever:
- 1.) Honey to Treat Hay Fever
- 2.) Chamomile to Cure Hay Fever Naturally
- 3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Hay Fever
- 4.) Ginger to Get Rid of Hay Fever
- 5.) Nettle Leaves to Treat Hay Fever
- 6.) Garlic to Cure Hay Fever
- 7.) Steam to Treat Hay Fever
- 8.) Salt to Get Rid of Hay Fever
- 9.) Onion to Cure Hay Fever Naturally
- 10.) Turmeric to Treat Hay Fever
1.) Honey to Treat Hay Fever
Honey is one of the best home remedies for hay fever due to the presence of bee pollen. It can desensitize your body’s immune system to other pollens. It also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can give relief from various symptoms of hay fever. For best result prefer using locally harvested honey for protection against pollens in your area.
- Take one or more teaspoon of raw, unprocessed local honey three to four times a day to help to relieve system. Eating raw local honey daily before the hay fever season can even prevent the condition.
- Boil a cup of water and mix one tablespoon of honey and three to four drops of fresh lemon juice and drink this mixture immediately. Drink this mixture twice a day to help strengthen your immune system and combat the symptoms quickly.
2.) Chamomile to Cure Hay Fever Naturally
It is believed that chamomile help to relieve hay fever symptoms. Chamomile works as a natural antihistamine and antioxidant. It is considered as one of the best home remedies for hay fever.
- Boi a cup of water and put two teaspoons of dried chamomile flower in it and let it steep for about five minutes. Then strain the solution and add some honey and lemon juice in it. Drink this tea three to four times a day for about two to three days to see the positive result.
- Or you can boil a handful of chamomile flowers in a cup of water. Cover and let the water simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes. Then remove from heat and inhale the fumes for about 10 minutes. Follow this remedy once a day until you recover completely.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Hay Fever
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for hay fever. It helps to restore the body important nutrient, which in turn regulate the body’s immune system. Apple cider vinegar also helps to restore an alkaline pH value in the body to relieve hay fever symptoms.
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Add one-half tablespoon of raw honey and one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to it.
- Drink this solution three times a day until your condition improves.
4.) Ginger to Get Rid of Hay Fever
Ginger is very effective home remedies for hay fever. It can strengthen the immune system and also act as a natural antihistamine. It also has an anti-inflammatory property which helps to reduce nasal swelling and other symptoms.
- You can make ginger tea, you just need to add one tablespoon of grated ginger to one cup of water and boil it for about five minutes. Strain and add a little honey and lemon juice in it. drink this tea warm daily far faster recovery.
5.) Nettle Leaves to Treat Hay Fever
The herb is considered highly effective for treating hay fever. It is antihistamine in nature and helps to reduce inflammation of the upper respiratory tract and ease nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing and itching.
- Mix one tablespoon of dried nettle leaf in a cup of hot water. Steep for about five minutes, then stain and add a little honey. Drink this tea two to three times a day daily until your hay fever symptoms go away.
- If you don’t find nettle leaf so you can also take nettle capsules, but first consult with your doctor before taking this.
- If you will take nettle regularly one month before the allergy season, it can even prevent hay fever.
6.) Garlic to Cure Hay Fever
Is it a natural antibiotic and can effectively get rid of several symptoms of hay fever. It is also a good source of quercetin, a natural antihistamine. Garlic as has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help to promote speed recovery. It is one of the best home remedies for hay fever.
- You can make garlic soup, to make the soup you just only need to boil three to four cloves of chopped garlic in one cup of water for about 10 minutes. Strain and then add some honey. Drink it twice a day for at least once a week.
- Or you can chew two to three cloves of garlic daily for one to two week to fight the various symptoms of hay fever.
- If you cannot bear garlic’s strong smell or taste, so you can try garlic supplements, but first, consult a doctor before taking this supplement.
7.) Steam to Treat Hay Fever
Steam is one of the very effective home remedies for hay fever. It helps to get relief from hay fever symptoms like a runny nose, sore throat, and sneezing. It also helps to clear out excess mucus that causes a runny nose and sneezing.
- Boil a water in a bowl and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or menthol crystal in it.
- Cover your head with a towel and hold your face over the bowl.
- Then carefully inhale the steam for about 10 minutes and then blow your nose.
- Use this remedy three to four times a day until you recover completely.
8.) Salt to Get Rid of Hay Fever
It is an excellent remedy for alleviating hay fever symptoms. Salt water will also help to thin the mucus and clear the nasal passages. It will also give you relief from a sore throat. It is one of the best home remedies for hay fever.
- Boil two cups of water and add one-half teaspoon of table salt in it. tilt your head back and add a few drops of this solution into each nostril wth the help of a dropper. Inhale slowly and then blow your nose to remove the excess mucus and solution. Use this remedy twice a day until your condition improves.
- Or you can use another method. You need to mix one teaspoon of table salt in a glass of warm water and use it to gargle. Use this remedy few times a day until you get relief from hay fever.
9.) Onion to Cure Hay Fever Naturally
Onion is a good source of quercetin, a natural anti-inflammatory, and antihistamine that can effectively reduce the symptoms like a runny nose, cough and sore throat in hay fever sufferers.
- You can prepare a solution by adding three to four tablespoons of onion juice to a glass of hot water. Use this solution for gargling several times a day until you feel better.
- Or you can chew a freshly cut onion slices and then swallow them slowly. Do this throughout the day until you notice the improvement.
- You can also mix one teaspoon of pure honey and one-half teaspoon of onion juice together. Have this solution at least twice a day for a few days to alleviate a cough and sore throat.
10.) Turmeric to Treat Hay Fever
Curcumin is a phytochemical present in turmeric with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant actions that can help to relieve several symptoms of hay fever. It also helps to eradicate allergens from the body and aid faster recovery.
- You can prepare a mixture of six tablespoons of each raw honey and turmeric powder. Eat one teaspoon of this mixture twice a day during allergy season for the faster recovery.
- Boil a cup of milk and add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. drink this mixture twice a day for one to two weeks. This will help to loosen the mucus in the body and also boost your immune system.