After writing how to get rid of ants?, how to get rid of fruit flies?, and how to get rid of bed bugs?, its time to tell the remedies to get rid of cockroaches fast and naturally. Roaches are insects, which are dangerous to humans by nature. They are one of the primary conveyors of harmful microorganisms to our food and other things. They tend to contaminate different items of our daily use. The harmful microbes carried by the roaches are contained in their saliva, and they spread their saliva over anything they can come in contact with, thus infesting that thing. It is most important to kill cockroach or get rid of roaches fast, naturally and permanently in your home. In this article, we are telling the best home remedies to repel roaches, kill cockroaches naturally and get rid of roaches fast from your home and kitchen.
Several species of roaches have different preferences about the climate of their living area. Few choose to live in areas having a warm climate while others prefer the opposite. Their taste for food may also vary from species to species. In this case, identification of the right species is required for the proper decision of bait (because the use of bait is necessary in nearly all roach removal methods). To start with, you can identify the species to get rid of roaches fast (of the one which is troubling you). Then you have to trace its entrance to your house and other details like its place of living and the main point of infestation. After that, you can try applying any of the methods as listed below:
The American Cockroaches: These species of cockroach are especially popular for their worldwide infestation in common households, so it is important to get rid of cockroaches of this species. They can be easily recognized by their reddish-brown color and the light yellow bands around the shield behind their heads. Usually they have a relatively longer life than other household insects (2 years). Also, they are capable of flying over short distances. They are also the largest in size among the overall cockroach family.
The German Cockroaches: This species is also one of the most popular among all the cockroach species and it is equally important to get rid of roaches of this species also. Their body color is pale brown with two brownish stripes behind the head. The German cockroach has a unique capability of mass reproduction (at least more than any other roach species). Their average lifespan is approximately twelve months.
Top Remedies to Get Rid of Cockroaches Fast and Naturally:
1.) Use The Bay Leaf Cockroach Repellent
This can be said a homemade repellent because it pushes roaches away from your home as opposed to killing roaches. Bay leaf, a herb mostly utilized as a part of Asian cooking, can be discovered effectively in a store offering Indian or other Asian flavors. As we said above, that roaches will not sustain the strong smell and same stand for bay leaves. Along with these lines you can get rid of cockroaches naturally for all time even without killing them. Dry some bay leaf in the sun or buy already dried bay leaves and grind them to make power. Now, sprinkle this powder near the roaches nesting. The roaches will soon leave their nest and home and relocate some place else, where they get food and water.
2.) Borax And Sugar Sugar Bait
As we said above that roaches are usually attracted by the organic things. In sugar and borax remedy, we are utilizing sugar to attract the roaches and borax acid to kill cockroach. Borax is usually utilized by commercial exterminator to kill cockroaches. Borax will damage the digestive system of roaches and dries out the roaches exoskeleton. This will help to get rid of cockroaches fast with no further issue.
Mix equal part of sugar and borax to make a mixture to serve roaches. Now, place or apply this mixture near to the roaches home, into the breaks, baseboards, under the cabinets and sink, in kitchen and other places where you usually see roaches. You will see the dead roaches in a couple of hours after applying/ placing the mixture. Try to place this mixture in night before you go to sleep since roaches will come out from their nests as it lights off.
Precaution in Using Borax: Borax is a very toxic chemical, and you have to be very careful while using borax. Keep it safe and away from the kids and pets at home. Always sprinkle the mixture in places, where kids and pets are not reachable. Always mark the jar or mixing compartment to avoid any mishap in the future. Use gloves to make the mixture and wash your hand 2-3 times with hand-wash.
3.) Use The Fabric Softener Spray
Roaches breathe through their lower body part or you can say breathing abdominal. When you spray fabric softener on roaches, it will produce difficulty in breathing and roaches will die due to suffocation. This makes fabric softener another effective remedy to kill cockroaches naturally.
- For this, you need spray bottle, water and some fabric softener (natural). Make a spray by mixing 3 parts of fabric softener with 2 parts of water. Take the spray bottle and fill the bottle with this mixture.
- Now, you need to spray this solution on the roaches to kill them. Double check that the solution must hit the lower mid-region and head of the roaches.
- Before spraying the solution, you can try to turn the roaches also. Spray the solution to maximum places, where you see the roaches.
4.) Baking Soda and Sugar Bait
Prior we have discussed borax and sugar mix that makes toxic bait to kill cockroaches, but this one is natural bait to kill roaches. If, you would not prefer to utilize borax due to kids and pets in your home, then you can use baking soda with sugar. Baking soda and sugar bait is also an effective home remedy to get rid of cockroaches naturally in your home. The sugar helps in the same way to attract the roaches and for baking soda, destroy the digestive system of the roaches. Baking soda will make a great amount of gas into the roaches that they dies. Take equal amount of both baking soda and sugar and mix them. Sprinkle the mix in those areas that are infested with the roaches. Roaches will die when they eat the mixture. Try to sprinkle at night before you go to sleep and this safe for your kids.
5.) Make A Coffee Water Jar Trap
There is a long discussion on killing the roaches with the help of coffee. Some people say that things present in the coffee kill cockroaches, while another says that the strong coffee smell kill cockroach. Regardless, coffee is a decent remedy to get rid of cockroaches naturally and fast. You can mix coffee grinds in any organic palatable and in order to serve roaches place it, where you usually see roaches.
- For this you need a 2-3 glass jars, some wet coffee grinds, water and 2-3 small cups. Fill the glass jar about 1/4th with water. Now, place the coffee grinds in the small cups. Now, place one small cup inside the one large glass jar. Make sure water is just below the cup level.
- You have to make 2-3 similar traps with a small cup inside every jar. Then place these jars near to the roach nesting or where you see the roaches most. Roaches will get attracted by the aroma of coffee and try to enter into the jar. One the roaches fell into the water jar, it is very nearly impossible them to escape.
- See the jar on daily basis and when you have enough roaches, you can throw them. Replace the coffee and water and place the trap again to get more roaches, when you discover no roaches in a jar for a couple of days.
6.) Ammonia-Water Solution
Ammonia excessively works as a repellent for roaches due to its strong smell. This smell make it a propensity to clean the hard surfaces with a solution of ammonia and water. For this, you need 2 cups of ammonia and 1 water bucket. Add ammonia to the bucket full with water. Now, wash the hard surfaces of your kitchen and bathroom and if possible at different places with this solution. Roaches will leave your home soon yet keep on utilizing this solution in any case, once in two weeks to keep them from getting into your house again.
7.) Soda Bottle Traps For Roaches
While you can always purchase roach traps, but you can put a little effort and you can utilize those empty soda bottles to make roach trap to get rid of roaches out of your house. You can follow the below process to make soda bottle traps to get rid of cockroaches naturally:
- For this, you need a plastic soda bottle, a sharp knife or blade to cut the bottle, soap and water. Take your plastic soda bottle and with the help of a knife or blade, cut it off from bending position on the bottle neck.
- Now, take this separated top of the bottle and place it in transforming position into the body of the bottle. You need to be sure that it will look & work like a pipe inside the soda bottle.
- Utilize the tape around the edge to hold it in place. Now, mix a little water with soap and pour this into the bottle. A little quantity of soap-water in the base of the bottle will work
- Now, place your homemade cockroach trap where roaches are seen frequently. Roaches will creep into the bottle and will suffocate.
8.) Use The Catnip Repellent
Catnip herb is a natural repellent for roaches that you can use to get rid of roaches fast and safely without worrying about your kids and pets. Nepetalactone is the active ingredient in catnip and it is non-toxic to humans and pets.
- Get small sachets of catnip or the loose catnip. Sprinkle the catnip and leave them in places, where you see the cockroaches. Alternatively, mix 1 tsp of catnip in 2 cups of water and make a catnip tea. Take a spray bottle and fill this solution in it.
- Now, you can spray it to the baseboards, behind counters, roaches nest and any place to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Precaution: While the herb is ok for pets, it makes cats go crazy, so in the event that you have a cat in your house, look for some other remedy to get rid of roaches.
9.) Make a Cucumber Trap
While very few discovered this remedy excessively effective to get rid of roaches, some still say that it does not work. Still, you easily find the cucumber in your fridge so it doesn’t hurt to try different things with this cucumber peel remedy to see, whether the roaches in your house truly react to them! It is said that cucumber peels, when placed in an aluminum can react to the metal and produce such a stink, to the point that isn’t mediocre to roaches and they die off. For this, you need an aluminium can and fresh cucumber peels. Place the cucumber peels in the aluminium can. Now, place this can some place, where you think there are numerous cockroaches. Now, you have to wait for the nasty creatures to die away.
10.) Use The Cayenne Pepper
Among the herbs, other than bay leaves and catnip, you may include pepper also with ease to make natural repellent to get rid of roaches. Now, whether this is due to the smell of the pepper or due to some ingredient in it, is not clear. However pepper does very work to keep roaches away.
- For this, you need 1 tbsp of cayenne (or red) pepper, 1 garlic clove (crushed), 1 white onion (crushed), and 4 cups of water.
- Mix all ingredients in a heating pan or bowl. Now, boil 4 cups of water mixture till boiling temp.
- Remove the mixture from the fire and wait till it cool down. Pour this into a spray bottle and spray in the roach-infested areas.
- You can also sprinkle cayenne pepper behind the objects or place where you doubt roaches to be stowing away.
11.) Make a Sticky Trap
You may trap the roaches in such a way that they stay in trap and not escape easily. This you can do by utilizing super-quality bundling tape! You just need to keep the sticky side up. In case that doesn’t satisfy you, get glue sheets used to catch mice.
- For this, you need packaging tapes or you can start with glue sheet (suggested for mice control). Take the tapes and place them in such places as along baseboards and counter tops, behind the cooler and stove. Keep in mind to keep the sticky side up.
- Do this in night before going to bed since this is the time, when roaches are the most active. In case that you have roaches, and might want to catch some of them till morning.
- Do this day by day till you see none for two or three days. If you think that it is too hard to make these sheets, then you can use the sheet available in market for mice control.
12.) Boric Acid to Kill Roaches
This is the thing that the professional use to kill cockroaches. Boric acid instantly kill cockroach. What’s all the more, its a toxic way to kill cockroaches. But yes, it is one of the best thing if you have just tired everything on these nasty creatures.
- Put some diluted boric acid on top of the kitchen cabinets or bathroom cabinets, wherever they you see roaches mostly. Don’t put boric acid inside cabinets. Recollect that, it is toxic.
- You may truly put it some place amidst rooftop and cabinets, if it is conceivable. Roaches like high places, thus this effort won’t go to waste.
- If you have the capacity to do this, roaches will take boric acid to their homes from these high places and kill the greater part of their species there.
Precaution: Take most extreme consideration to keep boric acid away from pets and kids. Use soap to clean your hands properly. Better if you utilize the gloves to the job and wash away the gloves properly instantly in the wake of putting boric acid.
13.) Take The Help From Garlic
Garlic is one of the best ways to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Cockroaches have the same problem for high smell with garlic as well. They cannot stand the smell of the garlic. What you have to is, take a few garlic cloves. Peel them off and place them everywhere around the house. Make special arrangements to the areas, where they are more active. After three days, replace the cloves with the fresh ones. Repeat the process for ten days and you will see the difference in the population of these unwanted pets.
14.) Take Help From Mint
Mint can also be used as one of the perfect repellent to get rid of cockroaches naturally. You just have to prepare a mint spray and spray it around the house. Roaches do not like the strong smell of mint and thus they will look for other place for themselves. To make the spray, take a glass of hot water and add some mint leaves to it. Cover it with a lid and allow it to steep for some time. Allow it cool completely and when it has cooled, pour it into a spray bottle. Spray it around the house to get rid of roaches naturally. Repeat the process daily and you will notice the difference with a week.
15.) Ice Cream Trap
You can also utilize the left over ice creams that no one is ready to eat. Roaches are attracted towards the smell of the sweets. Once they are attracted towards the ice cream, they will be trapped in the stickiness of the ice cream. You can also mix some baking soda to ice cream, which is destroy they digestive system and kill cockroaches. What you have to do is, take the leftover ice and mix some baking soda in it. If you have some left over ice cream carton then take that along with the carton. Place the baking soda mix or carton near to the area, where the roaches are more active. Leave it for days, keep checking it in between. After eating baking soda with ice cream cockroach will die. For carton ice cream, when you think that your trap has sufficient roaches, dispose it off.
16.) Petroleum Jelly Trap
This trap for cockroaches is anything but difficult to situate. To set this trap, get a wide mouthed bottle or jar and apply some petroleum jam on the inner edge of the jar. Put some fruit peels, for example, apple, banana or mango inside the bottle. Keep this jar overnight to cockroach infested area without shutting it in your kitchen or bathroom, which is frequented by the roaches. The smell of the fruit peels will attract the roaches to the jar and they get trapped inside the jar due to the petroleum jelly on the edge of the jar. Next morning, empty the jar if you see the roaches in it.
17.) Make Use of Lemon
Lemon can also be used effectively to get rid of roaches naturally. What you have to do is, while cleaning your house you just have to add lemon juice to the water that you are using to clean the house. Use it clean the area that has tiles. Cockroaches do not like lemon at all and thus they will run away from the house. This will also prevent future infestation as well. So, you are advised to clean your house with lemon. Pay special attention the kitchen area. You can buy some natural lemon spray to spay the areas also. Else, make your own lemon spray by mixing 1 portion of lemon essential oil with 4 portions of water and fill in spray bottle to spray the infested area by roaches.
18.) Using Listerine as Repellent
You can also go for Listerine in order to eliminate these unwanted pets completely from your home. Listerine is one of the most effective ways to get rid of roaches fast and completely from the house. Use it to clean your house. Listerine kills the roaches and prevents future infestation as well. Listerine acts as a decent cockroach repellent as well. Mix equal parts of water and Listerine to make a solution and add two drops of dish washing liquid to it. Put this mixture in a spray bottle and spray it on areas, where the roaches make most visits and on top of the roaches directly, if possible.
19.) Essential Oils Will Help
Using essential oils is one of the effective home remedies to get rid of cockroaches naturally. Roaches and other flies cannot stand with the smell of essential oils. Oils include cedar, lemon, rosemary, fir and eucalyptus.
- Take a bowl and add 4 drops of lemon essential oil, 10 to 12 drops of cedar essential oil, 4 drops of white fir essential oil, 2 cups of baking soda and 4 tbsp of borax to it.
- Now spray this solution where you find the cockroaches. You can also sprinkle it on carpets and furniture.
- Leave it for half an hour and then vacuum thoroughly so that baking soda residues are removed. This method will not only kill cockroaches but also kill fleas, mites, bedbugs, spiders, ticks etc.
20.) Pinesol And Bleach Solution
Pinesol and blanch mix has an exceptionally strong smell, which will help you to get rid of cockroaches naturally from their concealing places. Mix 2 cups of Pinesol, 2 cups of bleach and some boiling water. Pour this mixture to the roach infested areas in the house. Keep the windows of the rooms open as this mixture has an extremely strong smell. Wait for 20-30 minutes and then clean the place.
Other Useful Methods to Get Rid of Cockroaches In Your Home, Car or an Apartment
Method ‘A’: Get Rid of Roaches Permanently and Naturally (Fastest Method)
- A very few ingredients are needed in this process; just a bit of powdered boric acid (available in pharmacies), white flour and a little amount of granulated white sugar.
- The process is really simple; just mix these items together with a few drops of water (the mixture will be like dough) and put them in home areas which are commonly infested with the roaches. (Use gloves while making this mixture)
- If you have already found the living areas of the roaches, then you can also keep a little bit in front of those areas. The working process is also easy, the sugar will act as bait and the boric acid will be the roach-killer.
- To decrease the number of roaches in your house by a considerable amount (for you to see and feel the effect), it can take up to 5-7 days.
- When you feel that all roaches in your house are finished, then you only need to control the entrance of roaches to your house. This method can get rid of roaches fast and permanently by killing the every last cockroach in your home.
Method ‘B’: Get Rid of Roaches Fast and Permanently
- Alternatively, you may use another method to get rid of cockroaches. The required ingredients are boric acid, flour and cocoa powder.
- The mixing process is also simple like the previous one; just add one part acid and one part cocoa to two parts of flour.
- The application process of this method works just like the previous one. Same thing goes for the working procedure too.
Other Ways to Get Rid of Roaches Permanently (Naturally and Fast)
This formula mainly consists of the use of chemical items. Few of the techniques are like-
- Cockroach bait is a different type of chemical gel, which is laced with bait. The gel is actually a slow working poison, which means that the cockroach will not die instantly after consuming it.
- Rather, they will be attracted by the bait and will bring back more for the entire family.
- Finally, most of them will die within one to two weeks of use. But to obtain the desired result, you must ensure the proper placement of this bait (in the common areas of infestation).
- Cockroach traps work with the same bait principle. The difference is that an adhesive material is present in the trap and the cockroaches will be entrapped there after tasting the bait.
If you apply a good grade pesticide other than the regular ones, then you are more likely to gain success in your roach extermination mission. Because the professional ones are especially developed for one sole purpose-to annihilate pest. The ones available in local markets will not do the work for you properly because of their weak/less corrosive ingredients. You can also try buying a spray which is particularly developed for roach-killing. Ensure that you are purchasing it from a renowned brand.
How to Cut off Food Supply to Get Rid of Roaches?
- Always keep food stored in fixed containers or in your fridge. It’s better to keep it fixed in the fridge as well.
- Don’t let the garbage expose. Use covered dustbins in the kitchen and where you put your garbage. The extent that this would be possible, keep covered garbage containers outside.
- Keep everything in the kitchen clean. Try to wash your dishes, counters, dishwasher, tables and ovens consistently without fail.
- Store anything palatable, including dry things like flour, sugar, cereal, pasta and wafers in covered containers. Keep in mind, these are likewise the foods that attract roaches.
- Fix all the breaks in your house. No pipes, taps, flush tanks, nothing ought to hole water.
- Keep all the places in the house clean and dry. Kitchen and bathroom ought to likewise be clean and dry. Mop any water when the range gets wet.
Tips to Eliminate Hiding Places of Roaches:
- Clean the clutter from all storage rooms including shelves, drawers, wardrobes and so forth. Discard everything that is garbage. Don’t utilize rack, paper as roaches adoration to stow away under them.
- Unused furniture, machines, food and dress, every one of them are clutter. Discard them or dole them out. Do whatever you need to dispose of them.
- Consistent home repairs are an absolute necessity. Seal cracks and openings. Additionally, remove chipped paint. If there is wallpaper in your house, verify that it is ok and not lose. Lose wallpapers ought to be removed or repaired.
- Check your books in the shelves or drawers or wherever you store them. Check behind picture outlines, under the sink and hardware for cockroaches. Clean them consistently.
- In the event that you take all the above precaution, you can expect roaches to avoid your house and you won’t need to think about the ways to dispose of roaches!
Other Useful Tips to Get Rid of Roaches:
Proper use of the above techniques can result in a happy roach hunting for you. But some things must be kept in mind before their use, such as:
- Always try to prevent the inhalation of the chemicals, which you are using for killing roaches. They can cause lung irritations or breathing problems for you.
- There is every possibility of infants or pets consuming the baits/chemicals, which you have prepared and applied for the roaches. Some ingredients may not be severely dangerous, but it is always good to keep them hidden or protected. You can try keeping them in a place where they will be accessible to roaches only.
- If you kill half-dead or knocked out roaches manually, then always be sure to clean up the mess properly. Dead cockroaches must be disposed of properly using toilets for simply flushing them away.
- It is equally important to reduce the attraction of roaches towards your household. So always try to dispose of your garbage regularly and do not keep any half eaten or fermenting items here and there.