In this article, we will suggest some natural home remedies to get rid of canker sores. Canker sores are among the most common inflammatory conditions cause in the mouth. It is affecting around 1/5th of the general population. Women are more likely to suffer canker sores as compare to men. However, anyone can develop a canker sore condition. This condition is not infectious and should not be related with fever blisters or cold sores.
Medically, canker sore is termed as Aphthous Stomatitis. It is basically an ulcer on the mucous membrane inside the mouth. It normally appears as a white or yellow center with a red lesion edges. It usually occurs on the inside of the lips or cheeks, the tongue, the base of the gums or the upper surface of the mouth. Most of the canker sores do not need any specific treatment. They usually disappear by itself in 7 to 10 days. However, one can try some natural home remedies to reduce the inflammation, pain and discomfort caused by it. Below are some of the natural home remedies to speed up the healing process. Let us know the causes and symptoms before discussing remedies.
Causes of Canker Sores:
The exact cause responsible for canker sores is yet to find. Some factors which can cause canker sores are listed below.
- Weak immune system
- Hereditary factors
- Food allergies
- Too much stress
- Hormonal changes in the body.
- Oral injury
- Using wrong oral or dental care products.
- Viral infections
Symptoms of Canker Sores:
- Burning sensation,
- Swollen lymph nodes
Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Canker Sores Fast:
1.) Aloe Vera as a Natural Remedy for Canker Sores Treatment
Aloe Vera is known to have excellent anti-inflammatory properties along with many curative qualities. It also has antibacterial properties, which can help alleviate the pain and get rid of canker sores naturally and fast.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and extract the juice from it.
- Apply the juice directly over the canker sore.
- Repeat this several times a day.
- Optionally, you can rinse your mouth with fresh Aloe Vera juice 3-4 times a day.
- If you don’t have fresh Aloe Vera juice, you can buy the packaged version from the market.
2.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Canker Sores on Gums at Home
Baking soda is a wonderful ingredient for many body ailments either internal or external. It has fine antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to fight canker sores. Plus, baking soda helps restore the pH balance of your mouth.
- Mix baking soda with little water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste to the sore area.
- Also, you can use a combination of some baking soda and warm water as a mouth rinse.
- Rinse it with several times a day.
- You can also make another mouth rinse by mixing baking soda, salt and hydrogen peroxide.
- Rinse with this combination 3-4 times a day.
- Within 1 or 2 days, you will get relief from the pain and other symptoms of canker sores.
3.) Honey to Get Relief from Canker Sores on Gums
Honey is one of the extremely soothing substances which can help get rid of the inflammation and pain caused due to canker sores. Plus, you can mix it with turmeric as it has antiseptic qualities. Together they will help treat canker fast and naturally.
- Mix 1 tsp of honey and ¼ tsp of turmeric powder.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area.
- Let it sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Optionally, you can apply 1 tsp of honey all around the canker sore to reduce inflammation and pain associated with canker sores.
4.) Coriander to Ease Canker Sores on Tongue
Coriander is among the best ingredients for canker sore treatment. It has excellent antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal qualities. These qualities of coriander help reduce the pain and discomfort effectively.
- Take a handful of coriander leaves and boil them in a glass of water.
- Then, strain the solution and leave the water to cool.
- Gargle with this lukewarm solution, at least 3 to 4 times a day.
- Otherwise, add 1 tsp of coriander seeds in one cup of boiled water.
- Let is sat for some time before straining it.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution 3 to 4 times a day.
5.) Tea Bag to Get Rid of Canker Sores on Gums
A tea bag can also help get rid of a canker sores fast and naturally. For this remedy you need a used tea bag. A Used tea bag has tannic acid, which is a sort of astringent that helps ease inflammation and pain. It also helps boost the healing process.
- Take either a green tea or a black tea bag.
- After preparing a cup of tea, keep the wet tea bag in the refrigerator for several minutes.
- Then, press the cold, wet tea bag gently over the affected area for around 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 times a day until the canker sore is cured.
6.) Cayenne Pepper to Cure Canker Sores on Lips
Cayenne pepper is another common ingredient used in the treatment of canker sores. Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin. Capsaicin helps numb the nerves temporarily, thus giving quick relief from the inflammation and pain.
- Take a sufficient amount of cayenne pepper and mix with water to form a paste.
- Apply this paste directly on the canker sore.
- You may feel some irritation in starting, but soon the inflammation and pain will be gone.
- Continue this remedy 2 times daily for several days until the canker sore is healed completely.
- Optionally, you can have some candies which contain cayenne pepper as one of the main ingredients. Such candies can also help in giving relief from canker sore pain.
7.) Licorice Root to Get Rid of Canker Sores
Licorice root have excellent medicinal properties, that make them very effective against canker cores.It has an active ingredient called glycyrrhizin, which has fine anti-inflammatory qualities which can soothe and calm the affected area.
- Take 1 tbsp of crushed licorice root and mix in 2 cups of water for 2-3 hours.
- After 2-3 hours use the solution to rinse your mouth.
- Applying licorice root extract directly to canker sores can also help minimize their size.
- It also helps in speeding up the healing process.
8.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid of Canker Sores on Lips
Hydrogen peroxide is known to have great antiseptic properties which can help reduce bacteria in your mouth. To treat canker sores, you will need 3% hydrogen peroxide. It is easily available in the market.
- Take 1 tbsp of hydrogen peroxide and add it to a glass of water and mix it well.
- Use this homemade solution as a mouthwash.
- Remember not to swallow it.
- Rinse with this solution 4-5 times a day.
- Otherwise, take 1 tsp each of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the mixture directly to the canker sore.
- Allow it to sit for some time before rinsing your mouth with water.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a day.
9.) Sage to Get Rid of Canker Sores on Tongue at Home
Sage has amazing calming qualities which can give quick relief from pain associated with canker sores. Plus, sage offers a drying and astringent effect on your canker sores.
- Take 3 tsp of sage leaves and add them to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let it steep for around 15 minutes.
- Let the solution cool down before rinsing your mouth with it a few times daily.
10.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Canker Sores Naturally and Fast
Tea tree oil is another effective home remedy to treat canker sores It has fine antibacterial and antiseptic properties, which work as an effective skin disinfectant to cure canker sores.
- Mix 10 drops of tea tree oil in a glass of water.
- Use this solution, rinse your mouth.
- Use this solution 3-4 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can dilute 2 drops of tea tree oil in 1 ½ tbsp of water.
- Apply it directly on the affected area.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.