After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, how to get rid of a stuffy nose?, how to stop a runny nose?, and how to break a fever?, we are now writing how long does a cold last and will also discuss different home remedies for cold. We are also presenting the causes and symptoms. Cold is a viral infection, which is caused in the upper respiratory tract, especially throat and nose. People usually ask how long is a cold is contagious? and how long does a cold last? It can be frustrating, irritating and at times very annoying. From toddler to elderly people, anyone can suffer from cold. Although, cold is harmless, but if it is not treated timely, it can lead to other infections such as bronchitis, strep throat, and sometimes even pneumonia. Cold can’t be cured completely as it is a type of infection caused due to more than 200 different viruses. However, with some simple home remedies can cure the symptoms of cold easily and effectively.
What Are the Causes of Cold?
More than 200 viruses are responsible for causing cold. However, one of the main viruses is rhinovirus. It is highly contagious. Other causes responsible for causing cold include:
- Change in weather conditions. Cold is more common during rainy and winter season.
- Cold causing viruses can also spread through the droplets in the air. It can spread when a person suffering by illness sneezes, coughs or talks.
- Hand-to-hand contact with a suffering person. After such contact, if you touch your nose, eyes or a mouth, then you are likely to suffer cold.
- Touching contaminated objects used by person suffering cold can also lead to cold. About 10% to 15% of adult colds are caused because of viruses that are also responsible for causing other dangerous respiratory diseases.
How Long Does a Cold Last ?
Generally, a cold last for about 5 to 7 days. Most of the uncomplicated cold last for about 8 to 9 days. However, around 25% cold last for 2 weeks, and 5% to 10% percent cold last for 3 weeks. In case your cold last for more than a month, you should consult your doctor immediately. It can be a symptom of an underlying disease.
How Long is a Cold Contagious?
Cold is usually contagious during first three days, when you have symptoms of a cold. Therefore, it is suggested that you stay at home during this period. Take proper and complete rest instead of passing cold to others. Below are some of the home remedies to treat cold at home naturally and fast. These remedies are easy, simple and quite effective in aiding various symptoms associated with cold.
Home Remedies for Cold Treatment:
1.) Ginger as a Natural Remedy
Ginger has a compound known as ‘gingerol’. Gingerols helps assists in giving relief from congestion. Ginger is also known to have expectorant, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that make it one of the most effective home remedies for cold treatment.
- Add 6 tbsp of fresh grated ginger root to a glass jar.
- Boil a cup of water & add it in the jar.
- Steep this mixture for about 30-40 minutes. Be sure that your jar is covered.
- Strain the solution and add 1 tsp of honey to it.
- Drink this ginger tea 3 times daily for curing a common cold.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar Cure Common Cold
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is known for its amazing antiviral, anti-fungal and antibacterial components. It is a great line of defense to prevent cold naturally. ACV works as an alkaline in your body that makes it very difficult for viruses to survive.
- Take 2 tsp of ACV & 1 tsp of raw honey. Mix both in a ½ glass of water.
- Strain the mixture and drink it 3-4 times a day to cure the cold.
3.) Mullein Tea Cure for the Cold
Mullein tea has amazing expectorant properties. It helps in providing you relief from chest congestion that often caused due to cold. So, how to get rid of a cold with the help of mullein tea? Let’s see the process given below.
- Add 2 tbsp of dried mullein in a strainer & place it in a cup of boiling water for about 5-10 minutes.
- Now, add ½ tsp of honey in it.
- Drink this healthy mullein tea 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from the cold condition.
4.) Garlic as a Home Remedy
The antiviral and antibacterial properties make garlic one of the classic cures for a cold. Garlic is also very beneficial for your immune system. It helps in clearing up the respiratory passages that enable to flush out toxins from your body.
- Add 1 crushed Garlic clove in 2 tsp of Lemon Juice. Mix it well.
- Now, add 1 tsp of honey & ½ tsp of red chili powder
- Afterwards, stir the mixture & drink it every day till the symptoms are gone completely.
5.) Cinnamon for Common Cold
Cinnamon is highly rich in anti-oxidant activity. Also, it is packed with potent anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. Cinnamon is also high in fiber, manganese, calcium and iron. Hence, cinnamon can fight a cold effectively. It is termed as one of the best home remedies to get rid of common cold.
- Mix together 2 tbsp cinnamon powder, 2 cloves and ½ tsp of honey in a glass of boiling water.
- Allow it to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Now, strain and drink the mixture when it is warm.
- Drink it daily 3 times a day to get rid of the common cold fast.
6.) Honey Onion Syrup for Common Cold
Syrup made with a combination of honey and onion is an effective remedy for common cold treatment. Onion consists of numerous components which help strengthen immune system & works as natural anti-inflammatory, expectorant and antibiotic agent. The antibacterial and antiviral properties of honey makes is quite useful to treat cold. It also helps in giving you relief from sore throat.
- Cut the onion evenly & keep the base of the onion in a jar.
- Add honey in a layer on the onion slice.
- Continue to alternate covering the onion & honey.
- Once completed, close the jar tightly with a lid.
- Keep the jar overnight for about 8-12 hours.
- Once the mixture sat out there will be some liquid in the jar.
- Drink 3 tsp of liquid every hour to prevent the cold.
- Make sure that the syrup is used fresh after you make it. You can keep it in the fridge for no more than 2 days.
7.) Cold Treatment with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice or lime juice is another very useful remedy for treating a cold. Lemon juice contains a high amount of Vitamin C that helps enhance the immune system by providing support to your body’s natural defenses.
- Squeeze out a lemon in a glass of water to get some lemon juice.
- Add ½ tsp of honey in this juice.
- Drink this juice every day to get rid of the cold naturally and fast.
8.) Hot Tomato Soup for Cold Treatment
Tomato soup is one of the most essential home remedies to cure a cold. This is due to the antioxidants present in tomato that give a great boost to your immune system.
- Take Tomatoes, crushed garlic cloves, water, fresh basil in a saucepan and heat over medium to high heat.
- Bring it to boil & lower the heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Now, add ¼ tsp of salt & ½ tsp of chili powder in it for taste.
- Consume this tomato soup daily till the symptoms of cold disappear.
9.) Water or Liquids to Get Rid of a Cold
Water is a miracle medicine. It can cure many illness. Consuming more water or liquids such as tea, Juices will help in curing cold. Liquids or water prevents the drying of nose and throat. It helps the mucous membranes glands to remain open and so it is easier to clean. In addition, water, tea, juice, or warm lemon water helps loosen congestion and it also prevents dehydration. The hydration of the body helps in removing of toxins produced from dead cells, and increases its ability to fight the virus.
- Drink at least 4-5 glass of water.
- It is better if you drink warm or hot water rather than cold water.
- Keep yourself clean. Wash your hands before and after having food.
10.) How to Get Rid of Cold with Spice Tea
Spice Tea is among the most highly beneficial remedies to get rid of cold. A mixture of cumin, coriander, fenugreek and fennel seeds with rock candy can be used for this remedy. Here is the method.
- Dry roast and crush 4 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 ½ tbsp fennel seeds and cumin and ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds to make a spice powder.
- Boil a cup of water & add 1 ½ tbsp spice powder along with 1 ½ tsp rock candy.
- Let this mixture simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes. Then add 2 tbsp of milk in it.
- Bring the mixture to a boil before straining it.
- Drink this herbal spice tea every day as one of the best cold medicine.